Monday, August 23, 2010

2010 08/19 Thursday Night Magic Online

I had some time so I played in last week's Zendikar Block constructed for ThNM. Unlike Standard, this one seemed a lot less popular, I think there was about 30 or so players.

I don't know why, Block is a format that's really easy to get into (especially when a new set comes out and cards are being drafted like crazy). Perhaps people have focused on M11 since that's the current drafting of choice, but it's not like there's a Core Constructed format.

Anyways, I scrounged up some cards for a Mono White Control deck that uses the landfall mechanic + Lodestone Golem:



I chose this because I figured the sideboard was so strong against any red deck or vampire deck that someone might have thrown together. I liked the deck overall but it had 2 major problems that became very apparent to me:

1) Jace, or White Blue Control.
There are very little ways to deal with Jace, no Oblivion Ring. I maindecked a Kor Firewalker and a Kor Sanctifier to possibly be able to attack and kill Jace. I couldn't simply wait for the chance that I'd draw my Transcendent Master or get an Emeria Angel to stick.

2) Lodestone Golem on the play, on the draw.
Golem is a very good card in the right deck, just look at Vintage. However, if there ever was a game where I didn't get a Chalice opening, I found that Lodestone Golem wasn't as asymmetrical as I liked. On the play he's great turn 3-4. On the draw, coming down on turn 4 wasn't as powerful as I liked because the opponent probably had a better board or was working with 5 mana to get around the tax. Not to mention that on the draw, it'd be improbable that I could play turn 5 Emeria Angel and get an ensured landfall birdie.

Round 1 Game 1, Loss









Against White Blue, going first, mulling to 4.

I could have possibly kept either of the first 2 hands (drawing into a land would have maybe solved it), but I was on the play and am very wary of 1 land hands when playing a deck filled with such high mana costs.

He gets a Jace out quick and fateseals me a bunch so I can't fight back. 2nd game I bring in more Firewalkers, hoping to Journey to Nowhere any Walls and threaten Jace, but I don't see any and he sees his Luminarch Ascension.

Round 2, Bye

This was my opponent for Round 2:



It's a Korean film called Sad Movie, sad like my Round 1. I watched some of my favorite parts since I didn't feel like looking at anything Magic related.

Round 3 Game 1, Win



Against Vampires, my deck actually does what it is supposed to do and goes Emeria crazy. Consuming Vapors would have been good against Lodestone or Transcendent Master, but not against birds.

Round 3 Game 2, Win





Not again! Luckily my mull to 6 was seemingly ok, 2 lands, 2 cantrips to find that 3rd land, easy easy right?



My 3rd land was actually STILL 5 cards away, needing both Wall of O's to find it. Talk about torture.



After that though, the first Devout Lightcaster came down and stalled enough. I get Mindsludged but another Devout Lightcaster joins in and I get to start attacking back for profit.

Fin, 2-1

2-1 again, netting a pack of M11 and another Krosan Grip promo. Next ThNM is a 6pack Sealed, and thanks to my small winnings here and there over the past month, I'll get to play that for "free."

2 comments:

  1. What's with the weird art on your Wall of Omens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just went into the MTGO pics folder and replaced the art.

    ReplyDelete